The Devon County Club, a precursor to the DCLGA, was founded in 1900. The first President was Lady Lois Yarde Buller of Churston and the original membership numbered 24. The County badge was a blue and purple shield with a golden castle and the colours were purple and blue worn as a tie. In that first year the county team played a home match at Westward Ho! against Surrey and away matches against Kent and Surrey travelling in a hired Great Western railway carriage. In 1903 Devon triumphed in the County Finals, then called the Ladies' Field Challenge Cup, defeating Kent and Worcestershire at Sunningdale. By 1913 saloon carriages were deemed too expensive for team travel.
In 1929 the County Club name was changed to the Devon County Ladies' Golf Association (DCLGA).
A County second team was formed in 1937 and juniors were admitted in 1952.
The Still Cup started in 1903 with an entry of 16 teams in 4 divisions. In 1947 a Foursomes competition was arranged in the memory of Doris Willes-Little. The Sheelah Creasy Bowl was awarded in 1954 for the best nett score for handicaps up to 24, this was changed in 1966 to an inter-club competition for bronze division players. The President's Trophy was introduced as the third inter-club competition in 1999.
Today the DCLGA membership is over 3,000 and the County teams and inter-club competitions are still going strong.